At 8 years old, Ayman works as a donkey guide, bringing tourists from around the world up the steep steps of Petra to visit ancient hand carved stone buildings. We begin to chat and he tells me that he has been working for 4 years as a guide and lives in the hills around Petra. As we talk, half in English and half in Arabic, I notice his bleeding gums and rotting teeth, which look quite painful. We sit looking out over Petra for awhile and then he seems to decide I won’t be joining him for a ride. He slaps his donkey with his little stick and they start off in search of another potential customer.
- A Donkey and His Guide (jessesharratt.wordpress.com)
- Enjoy Your Best Tour Petra from telaviv (petratrips.wordpress.com)
- Nabatean Routes; Hiking Program (in2jordan.com)
- Your Stunning The Air Jordan Tour (jordanabouttravel.wordpress.com)
- Made it to Petra – Aqaba, Jordan (travelpod.com)