Pioneers in the Age of Information – Part 1

Image

Time travel would be an amazing tool. It would allow us to zip around through time discovering truths about ourselves that we could never see in the present. It isn’t because we don’t want to see those truths, well maybe it is, but I’d rather believe it’s because we’re too caught up in our own lives. The day-to-day consumption of getting by can sometimes be just about as much as we can take in.

I read recently in an article, that we live in the 1% of human history that has achieved global awareness. In the other 99%, we went about our lives not knowing what lay beyond the great oceans or over a range of mountains. In the short span of a few centuries, we have discovered our planet. We have put our feet on the tops of the tallest mountains and explored the deepest underwater depths. Now, we know what world is out there. We can open our laptops and click onto the Internet and within seconds; we are connected. This is a miracle by the definition of our ancestors.

However, global awareness does not equate to global empathy. In my experience, among the masses, it is almost the opposite. There is such an overwhelming amount of information, stories, disasters, headlines, and scandals, that it would take a lifetime to scratch the surface. When most people approach a mountain, they simply sit down, have a picnic and look up. Others, if they are brave enough, find a rope and some climbing gear. This is where we are when it comes to social responsibility. There are so many causes, so many issues and so many sad stories that to try to tackle them all can leave you wound up and desperate. One could say that the wiser approach would be apathy, to cut ourselves off from the issues and enjoy the picnic. But, wisdom has to be earned, and we are in our infancy when it comes to giving a damn about the rest of the world, so strap on your boots.

To be continued…

Advertisements

One thought on “Pioneers in the Age of Information – Part 1

  1. Pingback: Pioneers in the Age of Information – Part 2 | Jesse Sharratt

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s